Background

Sunday, February 19, 2012

meet my quilts

I'd like to introduce you to my four greatest sewing accomplishments and share a bit about each of them. I can't explain how I pick up many of the projects I take on, except that I see a book and think it looks cool and decide to try it out. That's literally how I came across quilting, because though there are a few seamstresses in my family, no one quilts but me. One summer betwen junior high and high school I picked up a quilting book from the library, decided I wanted to make one, and told my grandmother. She bought me all the fabric I needed and let me bring the sewing machine into her living room so I could watch TV with her and work on it. Later she told me that she was just appeasing my interest and never really thought I'd make a quilt! Well, here it is! Don't get me wrong, it didn't take me just one summer. In fact, when school started again I had to put it away and honestly forgot about it until another summer about two years later when I actually finished it.


And then I was hooked. After my first trip to the beach with my best friend and her family just days after my high school graduation, I decided to make a quilt to commemorate both the trip and as a gift for my friend's birthday. I was inspired by the sand, waves, and sky of Galveston, Texas, which of course isn't the prettiest of beaches, but you get the idea.


I immediately started on my next quilt the same summer for another friend to match her newly repainted bedroom. I was rudely interrupted by my first few years of college, but again finished during a long stretch of summer days the following year.


My fourth and latest quilt was made for my sister (technically, my nephew). It's a 3' x 3' baby quilt that I gave her for a baby shower gift. Though it's the smallest, it's the quilt I'm most proud of. I also made a matching clutch ball (atop the box on the right), bumper pads for the crib, a diaper stacker and organizer, but the quilt is definitely the most impressive piece.


I'm currently at work on two quilts and collecting fabrics for three more. But as always, college gets in the way and takes the majority of my sewing time, and sewing takes the majority of my paycheck, so for now those projects are on hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment