Background

Sunday, February 5, 2012

a different kind of stitching

TCU has a new club -- "Hooked on Helping," a club for knitters. We'll be knitting currently unspecified things for currently unspecified charities.

I don't know how to knit, but I've always wanted to learn, so I joined! Thursday night we went to Hobby Lobby, bought a bunch of yarn and needles, and camped out at Barnes & Noble. Only the president and our faculty advisor actually knew how to knit. I'm not sure what the learning curve for knitting is, but I think we'll have to help each other a lot more before we can help anybody else!

Knitting loops are called "stitches," but they're much different than the stitches I'm used to making. There are needles involved, but they're mega-needles. Thankfully, they're not sharp. There's no machine, of course. Knitting, and thus stitching, is done completely by hand, making a bajillion knots over and over again. This is the book we're learning from:  Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook by Debbie Stoller


It's funny, feminist, and quite a challenge for me. But I'm definitely one for patterns, and I have to admit, I'm completely absorbed and I think I have carpal tunnel. Seriously. Here's my first creation! It's a simple scarf made of multi-colored yarn (chocolate brown, teal, and varying shades of green). I'm giving it to my sister because she has to love it even if it turns out ugly.





3 comments:

  1. sticthin' bitch? love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rileigh, your scarf looks great! You'll be knitting so many other things before you know it. It is quite addicting. But at least your addiction is creating art and beauty, right? I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy! I'm almost out of yarn and will need to figure out how to end it soon, but I'm saving it for Thursday! I splurged on a ton of yarn this weekend and checked out every knitting book in the library I can find. I think it's safe to say I'm addicted!

    ReplyDelete